In this two-day course, students will receive a perfect balance of hands-on involvement as well as lecture topics. Upon completion of the course, students will have completed their own personal neck knife and have a basic understanding of the blade forging and finishing process.
Hands-on techniques will include:
• Selection of steel
• Forge maintenance
• Forging to final thickness
• Scale removal
• Cold forging
• Attaching handles
• Hand sanding to completion
• Kydex sheath making
Lecture topics will include:
• The Philosophy of Japanese Metallurgy
• The Five Criteria for Superior Cutlery
• Expose on Laminates vs. Homogenous Steel Blades
• Practical Parameters of Cutlery Design
• Slide show presentation of bladesmithing in Japan.
Travel and lodging are at the student's expense.